
With an eclectic infusion of minimalistic riffs, choir-esque backing vocals, synth and electronic undercurrents, it amazes me how such a simplistic array of instruments and can be manipulated to achieve such a refreshingly unique and evocative new sound, but it appears Mercury Award winning indie quartet, Alt-J, manage to put the 'alternative' in alternative music with their debut album, 'An Awesome Wave', released on 25th May this year. With a thoroughly-deserved Mercury Award already under their proverbial belts, this somewhat triangular (in every sense of the word) bunch have created quite a stir: keyboardist, Gus Unger-Hamilton, described himself and his bandmates as 'incredibly happy' to have received such a prestigious award, and I have to say that this is one of the most original and thought-provoking albums I've encountered in a while...
Admittedly the album did take a few listens before I'd fully absorbed it and was able to properly form an opinion, but when I'd overcome that initial listening stage and come to fully appreciate the beauty of the album, I was pretty much blown away. Amidst the simplicity and purity of the instruments Alt-J have employed within the record, they're incredibly adept at creating a sense of depth and complexity and achieving something completely different to anything else in the music industry, past or present. The album is bursting with quirks, passion and multi-layered intricacy that can be interpreted in countless different ways by listeners.
Another track which really helps to differentiate the album from the norm is 'Taro', the closing track. 'Taro' is an incredibly interesting song in that it's probably the most diverse on the album, lyrically and style-wise, employing a mix of the usual dreamy guitar riffs and introspective aura with elements of what could almost be described as Indian Bollywood music woven through the chorus. I particularly like this track's ability to allow the listener to reflect and escape, complimented by the yearning 'oh-ooh' vocals of singer, Joe Newman, towards the end of the song: a perfect end to what is a pleasantly challenging and unique album.
One of the album's softer tracks, 'Something Good', is a perfect example of the band's ability to provide the album with a more mysterious, but light tone, Newman's smoky, drawing vocals working in perfect harmony with the regularity of the backing drum beat and rise and fall of the piano. Similarly, the same pleasant, refreshing tone is achieved through the bouncy afrobeat of Dissolve Me, which leads into Matilda, a much more relaxed acoustic track, incredibly beautiful and subdued and full of soft guitar plucking and the repeatedly echoed 'this is for Matilda'. One last track I must mention is 'Fitzpleasure', an intriguingly offbeat and multifarious number, featuring a myriad range of different styles and influences, from almost 'Cowboy and Western'-ish guitar twangs to heavy electronic undertones and collective barber shop 'tra-la' vocals. As you can probably gather from my somewhat equivocal description of An Awesome Wave, it's incredibly difficult to put into words the general mood and content of the album because of just how iconic and inspiring it is. It's a wonderfully eccentric and unorthodox record, and I would strongly advise giving it a few listens before making judgement; it's one of those that's quite hard to process initially because of the huge range of musical influences it carries, but I can honestly say that it's one of the most interesting, creative and compelling albums I've had the pleasure of listening to over the course of this year.
An Awesome Wave is definitely an enigma, but I think that's the beauty of it; the combination of conflicting musical styles and unconventional lyrics allows the listener to draw their own interpretation from it. I'm really excited about what else Alt-J have to offer. They've really intrigued me with their debut album and having just picked up their (well-deserved) Mercury Award as the bookmakers' favourite, and a whole host of new listeners thanks to being praised by the likes Two Door Cinema Club's Alex Trimble, they have the world at their feet in terms of new directions and opportunities. There's something to be drawn from this album for everyone.
Rating: 9/10
An Awesome Wave encompasses a mix of angst-ridden electro-beats and a continuous mellow undercurrent, interspersing its thirteen track-strong ensemble with several shorter tracks and acoustic interludes to create a smooth and beguiling atmosphere, which really helps convey the album's subdued, yet vibrant feel. One track I particularly love is the eerily infectious third track, 'Tessellate'. It boasts an icy piano beat, complimented by funk-esque groove and plunging bassline accompanying a hoard of mysteriously ambiguous lyrics; 'three guns and one goes off, one's empty, one's not quick enough...' This is definitely a real stand-out track from the album, and I think it really defines the album lyrically and gives it a darker edge that separates it from the majority of indie music that has risen to any prominence over recent years. This is complimented by what is perhaps the band's most renowned song to date, 'Breezeblocks', a quirky and staccato track, with its gritty bassline and intriguing instrumental arrangements, even incorporating a twinkling toy piano accompaniment, linking in with the childlike appeal of the lyrics, 'do you know where the wild things go?' Constantly creative and thought-provoking, the unusual lyrics of An Awesome Wave are what complete the album in my opinion, really demonstrating the band's willingness to break the mould.
Another track which really helps to differentiate the album from the norm is 'Taro', the closing track. 'Taro' is an incredibly interesting song in that it's probably the most diverse on the album, lyrically and style-wise, employing a mix of the usual dreamy guitar riffs and introspective aura with elements of what could almost be described as Indian Bollywood music woven through the chorus. I particularly like this track's ability to allow the listener to reflect and escape, complimented by the yearning 'oh-ooh' vocals of singer, Joe Newman, towards the end of the song: a perfect end to what is a pleasantly challenging and unique album.
One of the album's softer tracks, 'Something Good', is a perfect example of the band's ability to provide the album with a more mysterious, but light tone, Newman's smoky, drawing vocals working in perfect harmony with the regularity of the backing drum beat and rise and fall of the piano. Similarly, the same pleasant, refreshing tone is achieved through the bouncy afrobeat of Dissolve Me, which leads into Matilda, a much more relaxed acoustic track, incredibly beautiful and subdued and full of soft guitar plucking and the repeatedly echoed 'this is for Matilda'. One last track I must mention is 'Fitzpleasure', an intriguingly offbeat and multifarious number, featuring a myriad range of different styles and influences, from almost 'Cowboy and Western'-ish guitar twangs to heavy electronic undertones and collective barber shop 'tra-la' vocals. As you can probably gather from my somewhat equivocal description of An Awesome Wave, it's incredibly difficult to put into words the general mood and content of the album because of just how iconic and inspiring it is. It's a wonderfully eccentric and unorthodox record, and I would strongly advise giving it a few listens before making judgement; it's one of those that's quite hard to process initially because of the huge range of musical influences it carries, but I can honestly say that it's one of the most interesting, creative and compelling albums I've had the pleasure of listening to over the course of this year.
An Awesome Wave is definitely an enigma, but I think that's the beauty of it; the combination of conflicting musical styles and unconventional lyrics allows the listener to draw their own interpretation from it. I'm really excited about what else Alt-J have to offer. They've really intrigued me with their debut album and having just picked up their (well-deserved) Mercury Award as the bookmakers' favourite, and a whole host of new listeners thanks to being praised by the likes Two Door Cinema Club's Alex Trimble, they have the world at their feet in terms of new directions and opportunities. There's something to be drawn from this album for everyone.
Rating: 9/10
An Awesome Wave - Alt-J ∆: Out Now
Breezeblocks - Alt-J
Something Good - Alt-J
No comments:
Post a Comment