One thing Sheffield-hailing indie rock messiahs, Arctic Monkeys, have always had going for them is their seemingly inherent knack of turning out records which manage to retain the same striking identity and grit which cemented them as a major influential UK indie band back in 2006, but adding a refreshingly new and unexpected twist, honing their sound and diverging into new musical directions. This is most definitely the case with the first initial glimpse into their upcoming and, as of yet, unnamed fifth studio album. First debuting the first single to be lifted from the album back in May at their first 2013 show in Ventura, California, 'Do I Wanna Know?' has provided a flavour of the smooth and retro vibe the ensemble seem to be channelling in the early stages of their new era.
Now, what I'd like to put out there is the fact that the track, as impressive as it is, isn't their best work lyrically. Seemingly drawing heavily from the evocative lovestruck 'glitz and glamour' of the preceding Suck It And See era, ultra-suave and widely-documented lead singer, Alex Turner, laments of his supposedly unrequited affections for a certain (lucky) mystery lady in lines like; 'There's this tune I found that makes me think of you somehow, when I play it on repeat until I fall asleep'. Not by any means poor, Turner, as ever, manages to tug on the heartstrings, enhanced by a softer, smoother vocal style which has noticeably become a staple feature of Arctic Monkeys' songs from Humbug onwards. However, with the exception of a few endearing northern colloquialisms like the feeling of love sticking around 'like summat in your teeth', the track is ever so slightly lacklustre lyrically compared to the intrinsic humour, gritty realism and mundanity of Sheffield life, portrayed in the band's early exports. Musically and conceptually on the other hand, 'Do I Wanna Know?' is yet another proverbial jewel to the four-piece's indie rock crown, hinting at a fresh and innovative new direction with a more mature and refined sound, whilst retaining the all important brusqueness and rock 'n' roll surliness that catalysed their rapid ascent to acclaim in the first place.
Punctuated with a slow, staggered backing drum beat, the track doesn't actually reach its full climactic magnitude straight away, unlike certain earlier tracks such as the drum-heavy 'Brianstorm' from second album, 'Favourite Worst Nightmare'. The initial draw of the song comes from the particuarly R U Mine?-esque riff, both low in pitch and richly drawn out. The distorted backing riffs and tantalising bassline add an alluring charm and element of seduction to the song, allowing the spotlight to remain on the beguiling gravitas of Turner's vocals. The vocal harmony of the first chorus is when the track really hits its stride, with the band uniting in a tender and ardent delivery of 'do I wanna know?', not unlike the smooth rise and fall of vocal harmonies in 2012 stand-alone single, 'R U Mine?'. The first track from their hotly-anticipated fifth studio album is arguably just a glimmer of the instrumental dexterity, experimentation and new direction we can hopefully expect to hear upon its release later this year. With fans and critics alike already storming social media and fuelling the impetuous frenzy and apprehension surrounding the idea of new material from one of the UK's biggest indie/garage rock exports of the 21st century, I really 'wanna know' what neo-psych delight can be expected from album number five.
Do I Wanna Know? - Arctic Monkeys
No comments:
Post a Comment